Saturday, April 5, 2008

I ran an easy five miles on Friday, trying to minimize the complaints from various parts of my body. Woke up Saturday still not sure I was up to the Peninsula run, but decided to give it a go. It turned out to be a good decision. A big group made it on a beautiful morning, with sunshine and temperatures in the mid-thirties at the start.

The mud and muck were everywhere, and keeping you shoes from being sucked off your feet was one of the primary tasks of the day. We ran a good 12 miles in funky conditions (see the satellite image of our route.) The right Achilles and left knee both made their objections known, but they were overruled. I actually ran ahead of the group and sprinted up a good, steep hill one point, probably not the prudent thing to do but it seemed right at the time. Interesting note, I actually weighed more after the run than before, even though I had nothing to eat or drink. It might have had something to do with the five pounds of mud I was carrying on my legs and feet by the end of the run.

After the run, Wayne recommended a recovery drink called Endurox. It available at GNC, so I'll stop by and pick some up.

No comments: