Sunday, April 20, 2008

Day before the race

Just a short update today. All of the SERC runners met up and watched the Womens' Olympic Qualification Marathon this morning, and it was quite a race. Magdalena Lewy Boulet took the lead from the start, and amazingly was more than 2 and a half minutes ahead of the next runners by the nine mile mark. We were all speculating about the likelihood of her burning out before the finish, but she continued to hold the lead until Deanna Kastor passed her within 3 minutes of the finish. Deanna finsihed with at 2:29:35, and Lewy Boulet was about 40 seconds behind her. The third woman to qualify was Blake Russel.
After the race, we went back to Tim McGintey's brother's apartment at Glocester and Commenwealth Ave., and started preparing dinner, or at least some of us did. The rest lounged around for a while and others went off to walk the Expo again.
I'm signing off now so I can get my stuff ready for tomorrow. I have a checklist of things to do to prepare, starting with attaching my bib to my shirt. Next time I write will be after the race. THANKS to everyone for the tremendous support. Now, let's get this race started.

1 comment:

solarsquirrel said...

HARD CORE!!! Congratulations on such an awesome finish!!!!!