Wednesday, March 26, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

A very sore Achilles kept me from running on Tuesday, and was not feeling much better today. I had trouble walking down the hall at work. I was getting very down, thinking bad thoughts about how I had screwed up my chances for Boston with only 26 days left. After a couple of days of those thoughts, I determined that I had to do something to prove to myself that I was going to be alright, so I decided to run home from work. There is no 'try' in this...once I leave the building, my next stop is home. I would rather crawl home than face the embarassment of going back to get my car and driving home, after I said I was running it. I made it, and my Achilles hurt no worse than when I started. The sun was shining, and the temperature was around 40 degrees F, and I easily made it home before dark. I kept a reasonable pace, averaging a 7:40 pace which is acceptable for a longish training run.

A noteworthy milestone, with five days left in March, I am at 204 miles for the month, my first month over 200 miles. Not much for the ultra runners among us, but a lot of miles for me. I am feeling better than ever that I will come in at 3:15 in Boston. I am much better prepared than I was for Columbus in November, and I managed a 3:19 there.

In a follow-up to my post about the Plain Dealer report Zachary Lewis, and his quest for a personal record in Cleveland this year, he replied to my e-mail and said he would consider joining SERC. From the tone, I suspect he is not all that keen to do so, but he didn't want to offend us. He did thank me for the invitation, and for my explanation of how running with the club has helped so much, and therefore he was thinking of including a discussion of running clubs in a future article. Of course, I offered our cooperation. Favorable mention of SERC in the local press would be nice.

1 comment:

Papa Louie said...

ouch, sorry to hear the struggle. If you can take 4 to 5 days off from running but do some other aerobic workout like spinning, swimming, eleptical, whatever to keep your aerobic strength up and you'll do fine in Boston.