Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Good Week of Running

There has been a gradual but definite change in the weather from bitter cold, gray winter to occasionally sunny, tolerably cold early Spring. Runs are no longer battles against the elements. I can actually focus on the run, not the weather. The result has been one of the best weeks of running I can recall.
It started off with what is by now a routine recovery Monday, 6 miles in the morning and 4 in the evening. Tuesday was a nice day, and the track workout went very well. I ran 3 miles of warm-up, followed by 6 x 100 stride-outs which I ran very hard, then 2 x 1 mile repeats, both at 5:48/min pace. Yes, I normally do 3 of these, but I had a reason to stop at 2. I had it in mind to do a serious tempo run the next day.
Wednesday, I ran a 15 mile tempo at a 6:49/min pace. This was on the advice of both Kam L. and Mark G. The course was mostly flat, but the final mile had a 249 foot ascent, perfect place to put that.
Thursday was a light 8 mile recovery. Friday was such a beautiful sunny day, if only 38 degrees, that I decided to do 12 miles along the canal. It was a great stress reduced. Saturday, was another cold but otherwise pleasant day. I ran 17 miles starting at Lock 29 with Dave P. and Paul R., and joined by Patrick F. and Derek B. Sunday, after very little sleep, I ran 22.3 miles at 7:51/min pace. I did six early miles, then ran 15 miles with a group of SERC runners, then tagged another 1.3 miles on running home.

The total for the week was 93.2 miles.

2 comments:

Wyatt Hornsby said...

Frank: 93 high quality miles...you are a monster. Not everyone can handle that kind of mileage and live to tell about it. You can. Excellent work. I can't wait to see your Boston time. I will be eagerly clicking refresh on your splits from my office computer quite a bit. Nice work. - Wyatt

Janet Edwards said...

Impressive Frank! You are really getting it all in and doing fantastic!