Thursday, January 8, 2009

Last Week and Month of 2009 Summary

Weekly Summary
About every fifth week, the plan calls for a 'lighter mileage' week. So the week of Monday 12/29 through Sunday 1/4, dropped back down to 70 miles. My legs did notice the difference.
Monday: 10 miles in the early morning on the roads of Independence. Mostly hilly, at 8:02 min/mile pace.
Tuesday: Only 6 miles, also around Independence, at a more reasonable 7:33 pace.
Wedensday: The annual SERC New Years Eve run. I forgot to turn on my Garmin, so I am calling this 13 hilly miles through some real crap weather (snow and wind). I don't know the pace I kept, but I promise you I kicked it into another gear after making the turn at the half. I tried to keep Steve G. in sight, but with visibility almost nil at times, I could not always do that. I did wear my screw shoes, which helped with what was otherwise slippery footing. It was a tough morning, but thankfully Rich prepared a feast of a breakfast and I ate enough to get me through 2009.
Thursday: A nice, slow 7.12 miles recovery run.
Friday: A slow 6 miles (hardly worth the effort to get changed) in Independence.
Saturday: A fun 12 miles with the Lock 29 group, on a reasonably nice morning in January. I ran the last mile and a half at sub 6:30 pace with Marc A's sister Marissa (?).
Sunday: I ran a few warm-up miles alone, then 12 miles with the group at a pace that was a bit faster than I had intended. Here are the splits by mile: 7.34, 7.27, 7.13, 7.12, 7.06, 7.07, 7.24, 6.55, 7.20, 7.30, 7.31, 7.03, 7.11.

Monthly Summary
December was a good month of training. I tracked reasonably close to Pfitzinger's plan, although as I have said, it is not my intention to follow it religiously. I got a couple of twenty-milers in, and my weekly total were all in the 70's and 80's. The total for the month was 320 miles, which is the highest I have ever recorded. My legs are feeling tired and tight, and I have some knee pain (right knee, inside and low), and getting loose in the morning takes longer than it used to, but otherwise I surprisingly good.

2 comments:

Janet Edwards said...

Yeah that breakfast at Rich's made it all worth it! Now time for a good 2009!

Wyatt Hornsby said...

Frank: I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the dead legs from all that training. Build in some ice baths if you haven't already. Also, take Glucosamine and try some arnica oil, which helps reduce inflammation. And be sure you're incorporating some recovery--something I'm often guilty of not doing. - Wyatt