Sunday, July 26, 2009

Burning River Preparation

In preparing for this 100 miler, I've had to make decisions about what is essential enough that I need to carry it with me, and what can be left in drop bags at various points along the route. I have decided that I will wear a fuel belt with the following:
  • 32 ounces of Heed
  • S-Caps
  • Endurolytes
  • Gels (a few)
  • Cliff and/or Mojo bars (one or two)
  • A small amount of medical tape/band aids/toilet paper in a plastic bag.
At each aid station, I'll top-off my Heed and replace any items I've used along the way. Everything else I'll need will have to be in my drop bags.


I have been gathering and staging the supplies that I'll need for the eight drop bags I'll leave at various aid stations. I've talked with some of the more experienced 100 miler veterans like Mark Godale, Connie Gardner, and Wyatt Hornsby to insure that I don't neglect any essential. Each bag will contain:
  • Lubricant (Body Glide or Vaseline)
  • Medical tape and gauze
  • Band Aids
  • Antiseptic
  • High caloric eat-and-run food like Cliff Bars and Mojo Bars.
  • High protein food like beef jerky
  • S-Caps
  • Endurolytes
  • Dried ginger (in case I need something to soothe my stomach)
  • Sports/energy drink other than Heed (I'll be carrying Heed in my fuel belt, and refilling at the aid stations, so I'll want something different in my drop bags. I am packing coconut water and maybe another alternative.)
  • Dry socks
Additionally, some drop bags will also have some fresh clothing in case I need to change:
  • Shirt
  • Shorts
  • Cap
  • Shoes (in case I want to change because I am getting blisters or just want a dry pair)
  • Spare sunglasses
I will also have one bag stocked with my supplies which I'll need as day turns to night, and it gets cooler. I'll need to calculate the appropriate aid station at which to drop this one since I don't want to carry this stuff any longer than I need to, but I want to be sure to have it when the sun and the temperatures go down. This bag will have the following additional items:
  • Long-sleeve shirt
  • Head lamp and flashlight
  • Spare batteries (in the bags after this point as well)
Still working out the particulars but I should be able to start packing my bags soon.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Recap of the Last 2 Weeks

Very little of note in the prior two weeks. The week of the 13th, I was easing down the miles for the BT50k on Saturday of that week. I still had a solid speed workout on Tuesday of that week with mile intervals of 5:35, 5:42,and 5:35. The rest of the week was light mileage until the race on Saturday. The Sunday after the BT, I ran the Solon 8 mile with the SERC group rather than the 12 mile , but I was not hurting as bad as I had expected. I was more bothered by the muscle tightness. I did only 6 miles on Monday, trying to get loose. Tuesday at the track was interesting. I was not mentally or physically ready for hard 1 mile repeats, but I forced myself into the first one. Mark G. really helped pull me along, as I tried to keep close enough that I wasn't embarrassed. I ran a 5:31, the fastest mile I have done in 25 years. The last lap hurt and the last 100 was worse. I ran an 800 after than, but kept the aggressive pace with a 2:42. I was feeling about lifeless after than, but couldn't go home without one more mile, and surprised myself with a 5:37. I had trouble with nausea after that. I did a very slow recovery lap before my stomach was OK again. Back on the trails on Saturday, feeling good, if not exactly perky. Sunday, I did about 12 miles on the bike and 12.5 with the SERC group.


3 comments:

Julie @ ROJ Running said...

Ok so I LOVED those endurolytes last year but could never find them anywhere! Vertical Runner actually turned me on to the S!Caps and I swear by those things...of course I turn into the worlds largest potato chip when I sweat so salt is good. It makes me smile you use them too. LoL. Have a really fun race this weekend!

Graham said...

I am always in awe of all you accomplish. I so wish I was going to be in town this weekend to cheer you on...

Have a wonderful race and I can not wait to hear about this experience!!

Papa Louie said...

How about gaiters? I found while running on the trails gaitors help to keep sticks, stones and dirt out of the shoes. I'm surprised very few trail runners use them. Anyway I wish you all the best in the 100.