Friday, December 5, 2008

World's Biggest Runners Mag Takes Second Place...to Me

It was just a few week ago that I posted a detailed photo instructional on how to 'winterize' a pair of shoes for $1.29. (Spin the mouse wheel a few times and you'll see it further down on this page.) I stated explicitly that the idea for these shoe modification had been around for a while; I did not invent the 'screw shoe'. I simply wrote and illustrated a simply tutorial based on my experience in making these modifications and running in the modified shoes.
Soooo...Mailman Mike's sub (Mike broke his leg) delivered my January 2009 edition of Runner's World yesterday. While eating dinner, I paged through it. I reached page 50, and there it was. A full page photo of a 'screw shoe' and a little 'How To' article.
My initial reaction was a blend of "I scooped RW. Go me!" and "Crap...now everyone will think I stole the idea for my blog entry from them."
After reading the article, I had a different reaction. In my best attempt to objectively compare the article to my blog entry, I have to say...I kicked RW's ass with my screw shoe story. Better photos, more informative instructions, actual recommendations about when and where to run in this shoe based on personal experience, and here's the kicker,... I actually bothered to make it amusing.
I recognize that I cannot be totally objective about this, so I would like your help. Please read my article, and the one in Runner's World. You can click on the image to the left for an larger version which you can read. If you think RW's article is better(it's not), please leave a comment and tell me so (don't). If you think my witty and informative article is superior in every way (it is), please leave a comment and tell me so (use lots of superlatives.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly, yours is better illustrated, more detailed, more helpful and much funnier. Let's find an email for this lame "Matt Carpenter" guy and send him a link to your article. That'll show him who should be writing for Runner's World!

LilSis

duchossois said...

Thanks for your insightful comments, LilSis. (You might have used more superlatives.)

Steve Stenzel said...

HA! I'll have to check it out!!

Babs said...

Your blog posting regarding the 'screw shoe' method is unequivocally more thorough and informative. I love your blog, and I recognized your talent for 'writing' a long time ago.

duchossois said...

Thanks, Babs. You're too kind, and amazingly astute and discerning.

Unknown said...

Your depth of running insight and pithy entertaining delivery always keep me coming back to your blog for more. My day is not complete until I can avail myself of your mercurial wisdom. It seems clear that Mr. Carpenter is a better runner than writer. He has clearly been left in the dust by your posting.

duchossois said...

Phil, thanks for your insightful and refreshingly objective comments.

solarsquirrel said...

Frank - you rock. They have nothing on you. I think you should contact them and point them to your blog post and tell them they might want to re-submit their article. They can site your work for some free running shoes.
;)

allanjel said...

Frank,
My family lives in WI & is just getting the running bug. They were concerned about training w/ the cold/snow/ice, so I sent them YOUR fantastically, awesome, Runner's World can't touch you blog on studded winter shoes. They love it. Thank you.